BLUENOSE II

Certification

USOC Certification

Story

Bluenose II is a replica of the original Bluenose, which was built in 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Under Captain Angus Walters, she became famous as winner of the International Fishermen’s Series of schooner races from that date to 1938. The Bluenose was featured on a Canadian postage stamp in 1928 and on the Canadian dime in 1937, where it can still be seen. The original Bluenose was lost in 1946 on a reef near Haiti.
Bluenose II built in 1963 is operated and maintained by the Lunenburg Marine Museum Society, which also operates the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. Bluenose II is owned by the Province of Nova Scotia.   She spends a lot of time in ports throughout Nova Scotia and beyond. A big part of the crew’s mission is to share Bluenose II with the public.

Specifications

Flag: Canada
Rig: Schooner
Homeport: Lunenburg, NS
Sparred Length: 181 ft (55m)
LOA: 161 ft (49m)
LOD: 143 ft (44m)
LWL: 112 ft (34m)
Draft: 16 ft (5m)
Beam: 27 ft (8m)
Rig height: 131 ft (40m)
Freeboard: 5 ft (1.5m)
Sail Area: 11,140 sq ft
Tons: 191
Hull: Wood

Facts

Who Sails? Youth, Elementary School, Middle School
Program Type: Passenger Daysails, Dockside Interpretation, Nautical Science & Seamanship
Normal cruising waters: Eastern Seaboard & Great Lakes
Season: April 1st - September 30th
Built: 1963
Crew: 18
Contact: Jason McNaught, Director of Operations
Tel: 1-855-640-3177
E-mail: jason@bluenose2.ca
Website: https://bluenose.novascotia.ca/